Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Home Inspiration

As the settling date moves closer, I have been driving myself crazy with ideas of all the things I want to do.  If I can somehow get my hardwood floors first (whether they end up being laminate or not- I honestly don't care), I will be so incredibly happy.  The kitchen needs new cabinets asap too though, they are the ugly ones that are that cream color with the oak trim on the bottom, BARF.

Anyway, I'm totally into looking in to some vintage/retro but modern furniture pieces for cheap.  I am definitely going to start browsing antique stores, garage sales, craigslist, and hopefully some cool auctions or flea markets.  I couldn't be more excited!! I went into salvation army today and got a few little knicknacks for decoration/bookshelves etc.  I will share those soon.  For now, I wanted to share some of my favorite ideas that I can't wait to achieve (in time- that's what I need to keep reminding myself).

I absolutely already have my mind set on a gray wall.  I love how it is so neutral and can go with just about anything.  Another thing I am excited about and already have my mind set on is having several picture frames at some part of my house, sort of like the ones in the above picture (though maybe not as many?).

I love striped walls like this, but I don't think I'd have the patience to do it.  Though I love it, I think I am going to stick with a neutral lavender or light green for the bathroom (maybe even a baby blue).  Either way, I am super excited!

I'm not super pressed on the colors this person used (found this picture on apartmenttherapy.com), but I loved the mirror which is actually on Design*Sponge (a great DIY site), and I like the tall vase with the flowers.  This is one of those things one would usually not be too fond of in a store, but when put together and in a good space, it works and you actually like it.  Sometimes I'm that way about clothes, in the store I'm like meh, but when I see it on someone I think it looks great!

This picture is from Young House Love, which is a blog/website with this married couple who totally renovated their house on a budget and did an amazing job.   They are always doing new things and have a great DIY section, as well as sooo much other stuff about where they found things, etc.  Anyway, I am not usually a plant person, but I think since my new house will be a new beginning with so many other things (like working out), I think I want to give plants a shot as well.  If I take the plant thing slow, or don't do such a great job with it, I know that I want to have some fresh flowers every now and them somewhere.  I think it makes people happy.  I especially love the yellow daffodils in this picture.

I think this is from Apartment Therapy as well, it was someone who had a tiny studio of like 200 something square feet (props to her, I could never do that shit) who did an amazing job with it!  This is one of the pictures she had up.  In my old apartment, I had a lot of vintage pin-ups.  I thought framing the pictures would be a  great idea, and I may now do it thanks to her (hello guest bedroom/office)!

And to end this post, I was trying to look for a quote I once read about imitation and how no ones idea is original, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it...I guess this is cool too:

"Imitation is at least 50 percent of the creative process” - Jamie Buckingham


p.s. Michael tells me the house isn't going to be a "zoo" or a "museum"......he'll learn one day.

Edit: I found the quote thanks to Nate (the facebook friend who always has up cool, philosophical quotes):


"Nothing is original.  Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.  Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows.  Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul.  If you do this, you work (and theft) will be authentic.  Authenticity is invaluable; originally is non-existent.  And don’t bother concealing your thievery- celebrate it if you feel like it.  In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: It’s not where you take things from- it’s where you take them to. - Jim Jarmusch

No comments:

Post a Comment