Thursday, April 29, 2010

Trader Joes Favorites

Have you ever had Trader Joe's?  I always thought since it was mostly organic, that it would be more pricey, but it's actually not that bad at all.  Some things are more pricey, but mostly, things are either averagely priced or cheaper (like the milk I find is cheaper than the typical grocery store).  I also was hesitant to try it, as I imagined organic food tasted boooorriinng, but this actually wasn't the case at all (they even have samples everyday for you to try stuff!).

At Trader Joe's you can find a ton of different foods, meats, poultry, frozen sections, breakfasts, cereals, juices, all the typical stuff PLUS natural soaps, lotions, oils, etc.  I think they even have dog food!  Most of their foods I believe are preservative free, and they only have paper bags.  They let their employees do lots of art around the store, mainly for the description of the food item, along with ideas on what to eat it with.  I haven't tried too, too many things from there, but I wanted to tell you about my favorites that I have tried so far.

#1 Trader Joe's Hummus Dip
I have never tasted a better hummus dip.  I am usually not too ecstatic about the regular ones you find at the grocery store, I never finish them.  I decided to try this one for healthy snacking, and OMG that shit is off the hook!  I finished quickly.  They have all different hummus flavors, but I only tried the regular and absolutely loved it.

#2 Trader Joe's Five Layer Dip
I don't have a picture for this, unfortunately, but I first tried it at my girl Mirna's birthday party years back.   Besides a home-made layered mexican dip, I have never tried a better one.  After having this at Mirna's, I bought some from Giant and it was NOTHING compared to this!!  This is great for guests or even snacking for a movie.  The container is kind of small though.

#3 Trader Joe's Frozen Fruit
I also don't have a picture of this, but Trader Joe's has quite a selection of frozen fruit.  I first bought a bag for smoothie making.  My favorite one has berries and mango (I am a mango fanatic!)  The mango's have always tasted amazingly perfect.  I think I only made a smoothie one time, I always ended up just eating the frozen fruit by itself, or sometimes with vanilla ice cream.  It is always so refreshing and at least I wasn't being too unhealthy ;)

#4 Trader Joe's Frozen French Toast
I wasn't too sure what to expect with the frozen french toast, as it is made of wheat bread, but it was really, really yummy!  It's never too soggy, not too sweet, but really good, especially for being frozen!!  Perfect for those lazy Sunday mornings.

#5 Trader Joes Creamy Yogurt
 I don't think that's the right name (God, I suck), but this yogurt is extremely creamy and yummy.  They have regular yogurt as well, and also non-fat yogurt.  The creamy one is the most fattening of course,  but the banana flavor is so worth it!  Plus, you're still getting those pro-biotics and calcium your body needs :)

Thus, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, check it out.  You can go to the link on top of this blog to try to find a store near you.  What are some of your favorites from Trader Joe's?

1 comment: